As many golfers will know, it is a prerequisite to have a valid Handicap Certificate in order to play golf in Spain.
Most golfers will have obtained their certificate from their golf club. In addition to having a valid handicap certificate, it is also a requirement in Spain to have valid insurance.
Normally, golf courses will levy a surcharge per player per round to meet this requirement. The surcharge temporarily affiliates the player to the Royal Golf Federation of Spain, RFEG.
For golfers without a valid handicap certificate, local golfers can obtain a valid licence (with or without a handicap certificate) and obtain insurance cover by joining the Spanish Golf Federation.
Each golf course offers everyone the chance to apply for a RFEG licence and the licence automatically covers the individual golfer for any accident that he/she suffers or might cause whilst playing golf at a federated golf club. This insurance covers against all Spanish legislation. Your own personal insurance policy will not be sufficient.
Registration is valid for one calendar year from 1 January to 31 December and the cost is 70€
Golfers, who register with the Spanish Golf Federation, are also entitled to enter a number of Open Golf Competitions, Events and Tournaments.
To apply for your license download the form here and send the filled out form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can check your membership and current handicap on line here.
Only members of the RFEG are officially exempt from paying the insurance surcharge - private individual policies will not be accepted.
What does being affiliated mean?
1. Allows golf practice at any facility affiliated to the Royal Spanish Golf Federation (RSGF) facility.
2. Includes a compulsory insurance for accidents on golf courses. This insurance is specific and mandatory.
3. Saves an average of 500€/year to those who use the services of the www.rfegolfclubvip.es platform, with exclusive discounts for affiliated members. Some examples:
a. Home delivery and collection of golf clubs for 15€.
b. 10% accumulative discounts for any offers at Barceló Hotels.
c. 10% discount on AVIS car rental.
4. Allows the free download of the Official RSGF Mobile Application (APP) with all the information about your rounds, tournaments, score cards, statistics etc.
5. Free entrance to the Open de España (price for non-affiliated members is 40€).
6. Participation in official Club, Regional and RSGF tournaments and competitions.
7. Reception of the free monthly newsletter with news, videos with playing tips, special offers, etc.
8. RSGF free magazine available at the Golf Club.
9. Ongoing management of your handicap, tournaments played, gaming activity, etc.
10. Exclusive Discounts in the Online RSGF Shop.